The past 2 weeks the boys have been working on framing the upstairs. (Where the kids bedrooms, bathrooms, and schoolroom will be.)
Here’s a diagram I drew of the upstairs. The black walls are walls that were on the house when we got it. The red walls are walls that the boys have framed. (Please note that the drawing is not to scale. Also, the proportions are a little off.)
The 2 bedrooms are on either side of the upper story. The boys’ is on the far left and the girls’ is on the far right. The schoolroom is in the front of the middle space and the two bathrooms are in the back of that same space. (The red wall in the back of each bedroom is the front wall of the closet. Also, the red box in the boys’ room is the 2 foot box around the chimney pipe of our wood stove. Oh, and the red wall just to the left of the girls’ bedroom wall is the wall beside the stairs.)
Abigail investigating the blueprint. (Laid out in the floor of the girls’ room.)
Josh, Daniel, and I checking the girls’ closet wall for level.
Josh and Daniel nailing in the last studs for the girls’ room wall
Josh hammering on the girls’ wall a little to make it level while I held a board up to prevent the sledgehammer from marring the studs.
Daniel cutting a notch out of a rafter to help the bedroom wall fit better,
Samuel stacking up scraps.
Daniel measuring studs for the end wall of the boys’ closet
Josh and Daniel assembling the last of the boys’ room wall.
Josh and Daniel raising the boys’ bedroom wall.
Josh, Daniel, and I measuring the boys’ room wall to estimate drywall and installation.